Sunday, November 16, 2008

So Long Mr. Nice Gay

Despite all their attempts to redefine marriage, it seems the only word the gay rights movement has managed to redefine is, well, gay.

Over the past two weeks, the word gay –which used to mean happy before it meant a same sex attraction-- continued its transition and it now means "blind, ignorant rage". How else can you possibly explain headlines like "Gay Activists Protest Mormon Temples." If gay means people with a same sex attraction, then a gay protest at a Mormon temple makes as much sense as a PETA protest outside HomeDepot. There simply is no reason for a quarrel between the two. Use the new definition and you get blind, ignorant activists protesting a Mormon temple and that at least makes sense.

Frankly, I think the homosexual community will be excited about the new meaning of gay. Now the only people who have to be worried about being outed are rednecks and skin heads. Just imagine:

"Son, is this your copy of Hitler's Mein Kampf?"

"Where did you find that? Have you been looking under my mattress?"

"Son, be honest with me, are you filled with ignorant rage? Are you… gay?"

"Yes Dad, alright. I'm Gay. I can't help it. Whenever I see a black man or a Jew, it makes me feel so angry!"

"I don't understand. Where did you learn to be gay?"

"I learned it from watching you, Dad. I learned it from WATCHING YOU!"

Call me crazy, but this has afterschool special written all over it.

Whatever you may think about the church or whatever your feelings are towards gay-marriage and Proposition 8, outside of blind, ignorant rage, there is no justification for protesting LDS temples and meeting houses. Now before you pull out the pitchfork and torch and start protesting my house, let me explain why.

While the recent anti-Mormon protests have shown us how homosexuals feel about the LDS church, it has not changed how the LDS church feels about them. The late President of the Church, Gordon B. Hinckley stated:

"People inquire about our position on those who consider themselves so-called gays and lesbians. My response is that we love them as sons and daughters of God. They may have certain inclinations which are powerful and which may be difficult to control. Most people have inclinations of one kind or another at various times. If they do not act upon these inclinations, then they can go forward as do all other members of the Church…We want to help these people, to strengthen them, to assist them with their problems and to help them with their difficulties."

Simply put, you can hate the Church all you want, but the Church does not hate you.

Turning the LDS church into the Prop 8 boogey man is ignorant and unfair. Proposition 8 did not pass because of the Mormon Church, it passed because 52% of Californians voted for it. Even if every Mormon had voted against it, the proposition still would have passed. If you really want to blame someone, blame Obama. It was the unprecedented African American turnout in support of Barack Obama who voted 70-30 in favor of the proposition and pushed it over the top.

The idea that the LDS church bought the election is an intellectually dishonest argument. First of all, the LDS church did not spend a dime on the election. Yes, it encouraged its members to contribute financially to support Proposition 8, but the Church itself spent nothing.

Secondly, the Yes-on-8 campaign was vastly outspent by the gay-rights movement. According to Time magazine, the No-on-8-side spent $43.6 million to defeat the proposition, the other side spent only $29.8 million. You simply cannot claim the election was bought when the losers spent more than the winners.

Proposition 8 passed because its proponents won the war of ideas. Admittedly, the LDS church was a major force in organizing and communicating in favor of the proposition. So if the gay-rights movement hates the church because we were better at persuading people, well, then compliment accepted. Bare in mind, however, that this was the LDS Church's first foray into political activism. The fact that it was so successful in persuading so many people has far more to do with the gay-rights movements inabilities than with the Mormon church's abilities. For the Gay-rights community, this was defeat snatched right out of the jaws of victory and you have no one to blame but yourselves.

It was the belligerent actions of people like Gavin Newsome and the other members of the GayKK who tried to earn public support for gay rights by cramming it down our throats.

Breaking the law and handing out marriage licenses to gay couples does not encourage acceptance of gay marriage anymore than graffiti encourages acceptance of the arts.

Saying gay marriage is going to happen whether we "like it or not" makes you sound more tyrant than tolerant.

You don't ease the fears of the pro-traditional marriage supporters who worry about homosexuality being taught in schools when you drag a group of first graders to a gay wedding.

Finally, you can't expect to earn public sympathy when you ignorantly and belligerently attack a minority religion for having the audacity to disagree with you in a civil, democratic election.

Despite these obvious facts, the blatantly anti-Mormon protests continue. Just this week two envelopes containing an unknown white powder were mailed to LDS temples in Los Angeles and Salt Lake City. Apparently someone in the gay rights movement knows of a right to terrorize small churches clause in the constitution that I have never heard of. (Don't worry, if it isn't in there, I am sure the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will write it in for you.)

Why is the LDS church being so unfairly targeted? Because it is easy. The LDS church is the only group not protected by the umbrella of political correctness that falls over the other groups involved in the debate. Pick on African Americans and you're a racist. Pick on Jews and you are anti-Semitic. But pick on Mormons and you are just another part of Mike Huckabee's America.

For a group of people who fought so long against unfair stereotypes and hatemongering, the gay rights movement wasted not time pulling out hateful terms and untrue stereotypes of Mormons. It seems the most popular poster at the anti-Mormon love fests is the "If you can have 5 wives, why can't I have just one." Great poster except for the fact that it is NOT TRUE. The LDS church has not allowed polygamous marriage in over a hundred years and anyone who even whispers support for the practice is excommunicated faster than you can say "Warren Jeffs." But hay, who needs facts when your persecutin' Mormons. The people of Missouri sure didn't.

My particular favorite are the "No on H8" signs right next to the "Mormon Scum" or "Vile Mormons" or "Go to Hell Mormon" posters. I have no doubt these protesters have very acute "gaydars" but their irony detectors must have been left at home.

One look at these anti-Mormon protests and you can see that ignorant rage is the new gay, intolerance is the new tolerance and Rainbow flags are the new burning crosses.

29 comments:

Rachel said...

you know, you said your next post would not be about prop 8 :)

The Average Joel said...

Technically this is more about the reaction to Prop 8 than Prop 8 itself, but that is probably splitting hairs.

JohnLester said...

For the most part, Joel, good post. ;)

Now, when you starting supporting Scriptural polygyny as well, you and I will be on the same page. ;)

boymystere said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
boymystere said...

speaking of blind ignorant rage... is this one of YOUR friends?

boymystere said...

I wish you hadn't deleted that comment. It goes to show what I have to deal with on a regular basis. Hate is so ugly.

The Average Joel said...

Yeah, I don't know who johnlester is. He has every right to post on my blog, but what he stated clearly crossed the line and brought the discussion down to a level I am not going to condone.

I welcome all opinions, but I do ask they they be respectful and that they avoid personal attacks and focus on the issues (something Rachel and boymystere do so well)

JohnLester said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JohnLester said...

You don't get it.

America in less than 4 years will be in the midst of a CIVIL WAR.

There is NO RENCONCILIATION between these views.

There is NO RENCONCILIATION between evil and good.

He is evil.

Pure evil.

And I will call a space a spade.

The Church needs to TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES!

Sin is getting TOO BODACIOUS!

These SODOMITES and OTHER SINNERSR will be attempting TO KILL CHRISTIANS if you

IDIOT BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF MINE

do not WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

The dispensation of Grace is almost over...

...can't you HEAR THE SOUND OF THE TRUMPET GETTING READY TO BLOW?!

That's the TRUMPET OF WAR!

THE FINAL WAR.

It's nearly here.

And I can't wait...

Yeah, sodomites, you think I'm crazy.

Well, I think you're crazy.

And when a vulture is plucking out your eyeballs after Jesus Christ himself has killed you (read Revelation, it's there for all to read) then we'll find out who is crazy and who isn't.

The time is short.

Repent.

JohnLester said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Average Joel said...

Johnlester, you have a blog and your are more than welcome to post anything you want there. If you want to post a link to your blog, go right ahead.

This is my blog and I want to it be a reflection of what I hold to be important, that being open, honest dialogue that elevates the discussion. My deleting your comments is no more censorship than my changing the channel on the TV.

boymystere said...

Johnlester, you are exactly the reason why organized religion scares me so much sometimes. You have been conditioned and brainwashed to feel hate and anger towards me. When you hate me, you hate yourself. It's ok though. You make it very clear that gays are not the only ones that are inappropriately using hate and anger. Thank you for making my point.

The Average Joel said...

This last comment from our good friend JohnLester (who already said goodbye so I have no doubt he will never come back and read this.I have no doubt he is NOT reading this right now thinking about his next ridiculous comment). Apparently John doesn't like having his comments deleted so I am going to leave one up. Behold it in all it incoherent glory. In case you are too lazy to look up, I have reposted it here, and added a few comments of my own.


You don't get it.
(I am sorry, what don't I get)

America in less than 4 years will be in the midst of a CIVIL WAR.
(Ohh, that. You are right. I don't get it. So if in four years we will be in the MIDST of a civil war, does that mean it will actually start in two? Just trying to figure out if I should break out my musket and dry my powder)

There is NO RENCONCILIATION between these views.
(Which Views?)

There is NO RENCONCILIATION between evil and good.
(Oh, I don't know about that.You do know James Carville is married to Mary Matlin don't you? Somehow they make it work.)

He is evil.
(Who? Introducing your subject is a pretty important part of writing.)

Pure evil.
(You are sure it is not 97.5% Evil?)

And I will call a space a spade.
(You can call Space a spade all you want, but I don't think everyone will understand you)

The Church needs to TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES!
(Since when does the church where gloves made from children?)

Sin is getting TOO BODACIOUS!
(I had to re-read that. At first I thought you said booty-licious. If that was the case I would agree, sin is getting too booty-licious.)

These SODOMITES and OTHER SINNERSR will be attempting TO KILL CHRISTIANS if you
(Well, you be attempting to put together a complete sentence, but it does not look like you have done it yet)

IDIOT BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF MINE
(Calling people an idiot is great way to pursuade them to your cause. After all, wasn't it Jesus who said "Come follow me, you idiots!)

do not WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!
(Sorry, I am Mormon. I can't)

The dispensation of Grace is almost over...
(Judging by your graceless comments, I think we can all agree that is true)

...can't you HEAR THE SOUND OF THE TRUMPET GETTING READY TO BLOW?!
(Can you really hear a trumpet getting ready to blow? That is like hearing a piano that is about to be played. You must have some keen hearing.)

That's the TRUMPET OF WAR!
(Oh, I thought it was the Boogey Woogey Bugle Boy from Company B)

THE FINAL WAR.
(Yeah, that is what they said about World War II. That sure has turned out well)

It's nearly here.
(Can you hear that too?)

And I can't wait...
(What are we waiting for? The trumpet that is about to blow or the final final war. Again, I am confused.)

Yeah, sodomites, you think I'm crazy.
(Crazy like a fox!)

Well, I think you're crazy.
(Touche.)

And when a vulture is plucking out your eyeballs after Jesus Christ himself has killed you (read Revelation, it's there for all to read) then we'll find out who is crazy and who isn't.
(Actually, they won't be able to find out if you are crazy or not. There eyes will be missing. I don't think they will be able to find much of anything.)

The time is short.
(Actually, time prefers to be called "length challenged")

Repent.
(From what, calling Space a spade?)

boymystere said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Average Joel said...

Sorry Boymystere, my mom reads this blog. Got to keep the language clean.

boymystere said...

Thank you Joel. Clearly my last comment was intended for the prophet Johnlester. I appreciate your help in erasing his message. Wow... I can't believe I'm still sitting at this computer. Time to make an exit. Until next time.

JohnLester said...

Liar.

I used no unclean language.

Sodomite is a Biblical term. Hell is a biblical term, EVEN SPIT is a Biblical term. The Bible in TWO PLACES has God referring to SPIT. In one place, GOD HIMSELF said that Miriam's father SHOULD HAVE SPIT IN HER FACE the day she was born.

I didn't use any unclean language whatsoever.

Liar.

The Average Joel said...

The post I deleted was boymysteres (see it says so right in the comment). Apparently reading comprehension must not be a requirement for MENSA

JohnLester said...

Joel, do you really think that I'm even bothering to

READ

much of these posts of yours?

There is nothing you can teach me.

Shut up and listen.

And you'll learn a few things.

From me.

I'm

SICK

of

"Christians" like you.

Willing to compromise with anything and everything...

...I'm in a Holy Rage over here...it's a wonder that my keyboard isn't melting...

...I have

HAD IT!

I'm SERIOUS!

Churches should get ARMED SECURITY and DROP THESE TRESPASSING SODOMITES DISRUPTING SERVICES DEAD IN THE PEWS!

SATAN IS BECOMING EVER BOLDER...

...because it knows it's time is short.

Your church, he LDS, by the way, is following its HISTORICAL PREDICTABLE pattern.

Fight SIN like hell.

Then, when the going gets tough, compromise and fold like a house of cards.

AND I HAVE PREDICTED FOR SOME TIME THAT IT WON'T BE BUT A FEW SHORT YEARS AND THE LDS WILL BE MARRYING SODOMITES IN THE SALT LAKE CITY TEMPLE just a half a mile south of where I am RIGHT NOW.

I hope I'm wrong, but, hey, cheer up sodomite boy, you might be able to get your b---f---ing "blessed by a LDS "priest" yet...

...as long as there are Joels around...

The Average Joel said...

Let me see if I am understanding you clearly. Because I have had the audacity to delete your unsolicited, hate-filled incoherent rants, I am suddenly willing to “compromise with anything and everything” which sends you into a holy rage, melts your key board, causes you type in ALL CAPS while pining for the death of homosexuals inside the chapel which leads to a bizarre prediction that in a few years the LDS church will be marrying homosexuals all thanks to me. Does that about sum it up? Is there anything I am missing here?

Just one last question for you: Did David Koresh and Jim Jones know they had a secret love child, or were you a surprise to them?

JohnLester said...

Except for the "incoherent" part, pretty much correct, Joel.

You're learning...

;)

Christa Jeanne said...

GREAT post, Joel!!! I feel the same way. Funny how the gay community claimed to just be interested in their "rights" (despite that they already have all the same rights under the CA Family Code, but whatevs), but now that they lost, it is nothing but pure, unadulterated hatred toward religion that is seething out.

It's not about gay marriage, almost - it's about pushing a secular agenda and squashing religious rights.

If Prop. 8 had failed, there is no way that the Yes on 8'ers would be out protesting and throwing a hissy fit. We'd move along with out lives and submit to the vox populi. And we'd NEVER in a million years go out boycotting gay businesses, protesting in WeHo, etc. And if we did, we'd be earning that name of "bigot" that we get labeled so quickly. Too bad the door doesn't swing both ways.

It worries me for the future of America. Sadly, this is the sort of thing civil wars are born from.

boymystere said...

umm.... did you delete my original response to your post too? I hope Johnlester hasn't persuaded you to eliminate healthy dialogue on your blog. If so, so much for open minds. Best wishes to you Joel.

The Average Joel said...

Sorry. I re-read it last night and noticed it had a blatant violation of my prudish language policy, so I felt I should delete it lest my mother wash my mouth out with soap. You are more than welcome to post your sentiments again.

boymystere said...

I feel sorry that you've let so much hate consume your heart. Forget the past. Forget the future. Try happiness in this moment. Try happiness for others.

Though, I'm not sure if you'll read it.
For you Johnlester a story:

Buddha was sitting under a tree talking to his disciples. A man came and SPIT on his face. He wiped it off, and he asked the man, "What next? What do you want to say next?" The man was a little puzzled because he himself never expected that when you spit on somebody's face, he will ask, "What next?" He had had no such experience in his past. He had insulted and they had become angry and they had reacted. Or if they were cowards and weaklings, they had smiled, trying to bribe the man. But Buddha was like neither, he was not angry nor in any way offended, nor in any way cowardly. But just matter-of-factly he said, "What next?" There was no reaction on his part.

Buddha's disciples became angry, they reacted. His closest disciple, Ananda, said, "This is too much, and we cannot tolerate it. You keep your teaching with you, and we will just show this man that he cannot do what he has done. He has to be punished for it. Otherwise everybody will start doing things like this."

Buddha said, "You keep silent. He has not offended me, but YOU are offending me. He is new, a stranger. He must have heard from people something about me, that 'this man is an atheist, a dangerous man who is throwing people off their track, a revolutionary, a corrupter.' And he may have formed some idea, a notion of me. He has not spit on me, he has spit on his own notion, he has spit on his idea of me--because he does not know me at all, so how can he spit on me? If you think on it deeply," Buddha said, "he has SPIT on his own mind. I am not part of it, and I can see that this poor man must have something else to say because this is a way of saying something--spitting is a way of saying something. There are moments when you feel that language is impotent--in deep love, in intense anger, in hate, in prayer. There are intense moments when language is impotent. Then you have to do something. When you are in deep love and you kiss the person or embrace the person, what are you doing? You are saying something. When you are angry, intensely angry, you hit the person, you spit on him, you are saying something. I can understand him. He must have something more to say, that's why I'm asking, 'What next?' "

The man was even more puzzled! And Buddha said to his disciples, "I am more offended by you because you know me, and you have lived for years with me, and still you react."

Puzzled, confused, the man returned home. He could not sleep the whole night. When you see a Buddha (or Jesus I suppose) it is difficult, impossible to sleep again the way you used to sleep before. Again and again he was haunted by the experience. He could not explain it to himself, what had happened. He was trembling all over and perspiring. He had never come across such a man; he shattered his whole mind and his whole pattern, his whole past.

The next morning he was back there. He threw himself at Buddha's feet. Buddha asked him again, "What next? This, too, is a way of saying something that cannot be said in language. When you come and touch my feet, you are saying something that cannot be said ordinarily, for which all words are a little narrow; it cannot be contained in them." Buddha said, "Look, Ananda, this man is again here, he is saying something. This man is a man of deep emotions."

The man looked at Buddha and said, "Forgive me for what I did yesterday."

Buddha said, "Forgive? But I am not the same man to whom you did it. The Ganges goes on flowing; it is never the same Ganges again. Every man is a river. The man you spit upon is no longer here--I look just like him, but I am not the same, much has happened in these 24 hours! The river has flowed so much. So I cannot forgive you because I have no grudge against you.

"And you are also new. I can see you are not the same man who came yesterday because that man was angry--he was anger! You are not the same man, so let us forget about it. Those two people--the man who spit, and the man on whom he spit--both are no more. Come closer. Let us talk of something else."

Every moment you are being born anew. Every moment you die, and every moment you are born.

In the pursuit of happiness, we are all equal. I know you feel very strongly about MY life... If you want, let God judge me, I am OK with that. When the time comes, let God judge me, not you.

Have a nice day John. Best wishes to you and your family.

Lewis Family said...

I love you, Joel.

Rachel said...

wow... apparently i dont look the your blog for a couple days and it goes insane! I just wanted to take a moment to thank you joel. Because although i know full well we will NEVER agree on certain issues... political/social/whatever.. you are a sane, respectful individual... and i sometimes forget that there are johnlesters of the world and that sane, respectful individuals are hard to come by....

on a side note...Christa Jeanne brought up my personal favorite pro prop 8 argument... that gay couples already have all the same rights and are thus equal... know how that is defined? Separate but equal? what? that sounds familiar... something that the us supreme court struck down oh... 52 and a half years ago (may 17, 1954 to be precise.. dont ask why i know that off the top of my head...)... Separate is inherently unequal.
but aside from that.. i may disagree with pretty much everything you say :), but i respect the way in which you say it and the way you handle crazy people... so thank you...

Neal and Shannon said...

My FAVORITE post so far, Joel. MAN. If the pen is mightier than the sword, then your blog is mightier than an atomic blast. Nice work, bro.

Shane and Loni said...

I agree with Neal. I cannot tell you how many times I'm like, "Dude, where's Joel when I need him?"

I commend you for your courage and honesty.